Date:      Sat, 15 May 1999 10:06:55 +0100
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        Konstantin Chuguev <joy@urc.ac.ru>
Cc:        Peter Hakanson <peter@netman.se>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Machine hangs when using h261 encoding

To stop vic hanging your machine add the following to
your kernel congif.

options BROOKTREE_SYSTEM_DEFAULT=BROOKTREE_PAL

Or whatever type of camera you are using.

There is some strange problem with bt848 hardware which
means you can hang your PC while changing video mode.
I could not find a suitable fix for the bt848 driver
(except for adding the equivalent of sleep(2 seconds)
all through the driver.

Thie kenel option make card power up in PAL mode.
The problem was that the default power up is NTSC
mode and then you do a switch to PAL for your cameras.

This bug took me ages to work out.
I have a VideoLogic Captivator PCI card too.

Bye
Roger
--
Roger Hardiman