Date:      Fri, 13 Mar 1998 14:22:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
To:        david@sparks.net
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Best" Fast Ethernet Card

On Fri, 13 Mar 1998 david@sparks.net wrote:

> While we're on the subject of fast ethernet cards, does anyone know of any
> muli-port fast ethernet cards?

Adaptec has just released two and four port cards that are based
on some sort of DEC chip. I'd bet they're pretty similar to the
Znyx ones.

> My experience with Znyx 348's (dual port) was that they'd "steal" IRQ's
> from the neighboring PCI slots, interfering with a (for example) WANic
> (SDL Riscomm sync serial board) board the next slot over.
> What I'd love to see is a 100+ dash 4 which used a single a single IRQ for
> all four ports:)

I seem to recall that the two-port ones were both on the main bus,
but the four-port ones had four chips behind a PCI-PCI bridge,
which fixed the interrupt problem.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite mist, software reverberates