Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 01:41:15 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Alex Knowles <alex@targeting.co.uk>
Cc:        "'Freebsd-Hardware (E-mail)" <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: newbie setup

> so acouple of questions:
> 	will Nt be able to read files stored on the bsd box and vice versa

Yes, and yes if you use the Sharity product (available in a free
'light' version or the full commercial version)

> 	will macs be able to do the same (particularly g3's)

You can support Appletalk filesharing with the BSD system, or you can
use Samba and the "Dave" product for MacOS.

> 	will an nt outlook server be able to run in parallel

Yes.

> 	we also want to have an automatic dat backup, can anyone forsee any
> problems/software we need etc. or is it easier for an nt box to do this ?

You almost certainly want two backups, one on each server.

> and then hardware compatibility:
> I shall probably have the following spec:
>
> PII 350 or 450 (if some spare cash is lying around!!!)
> adaptec 2940 UW SCSI controller
> 9 Gig Fast wide SCSI Hard drive
> 100 Mb/s 3com network card
> S3 Virge Graphics card
> Connected to an optic line via a 3com router

This is probably gross overkill; unless you have > 50 workstations you
could probably swing it with a P166 and an IDE disk.  A server like
this doesn't need much CPU; if a slow PII would give you more cash for
RAM or disk space, it's better spent there than on wasted cycles.

For a good example doing basic file service: ftp.cdrom.com supports
> 3000 simultaneous users at 400GB+/day throughput on a P6/200 with 1GB
of RAM.  You don't need lots of CPU; you want disk and RAM (for disk
cache).

If you're going to use a 3C905, make sure you're installing 2.2.7-stable
on the system (ie. go to releng22.freebsd.org to do your install), as
support for these cards was not in 2.2.7-RELEASE. Alternatively, use an
Intel EtherExpress Pro/100B.