Date:      Sat, 21 Feb 1998 11:30:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Brian Handy <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
To:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
Cc:        John Kelly <jak@cetlink.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More breakage in -current as a result of header frobbing.

On Sat, 21 Feb 1998, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:

>>I propose that after 2.2.6 or 2.2.7, whichever comes last, that you
>>just do away with -stable altogether and start making three or four CD
>>SNAPs of -current per year and call it "semi-stable."  Just catch the
>>-current tree at a really good time when making those CDs.
>
>This would definitely be the WRONG way to go. We need to be making
>EXTREMELY HIGH QUALITY releases.

I'm with Richard here.  While -current is the rage, and it's cool, and
SMP, and 4.4lite, and Terry-enriched, it's not everything.  I only rode
the -current wave in the early 2.x days when I needed linux emulation to
work for my stuff.  Now -stable is allowing me (usually) to do my thesis
work on.  And the legacy of grad students I leave behind me at MSU are
going to be using 3.0-STABLE to do the same thing, while hackers (in their
right) continue to bitch and moan about how hard it is to find a day when
3.5-BLEEDING will compile all the way through.  I can still compile every
port I need on -STABLE, even though it's done on brown and orange 1970's
shag carpet.  It works, it's fast, and there's nothing in -OUCH that I
particularly need right now.

3.0-STABLE is certainly coming, though I won't hazard a guess when.  But a
lot of us work just fine in a -STABLE environment, in our plaid pants and
polyester vests.  (Oh wait...that stuff is coming back into style. :-)

Though I do conceed that it would be easier to jump on the current
bandwagon if it would compile all the way through just once.  :-)

I like a stable -STABLE and a virulent -CURRENT,

Brian