Date:      Sat, 20 Jan 1996 11:28:33 +0100 (MET)
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@knobel.gun.de>
To:        isp@freebsd.org
Cc:        jkh@freebsd.org, joerg@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD-current Proxy Server in our company (vs. Sun)

Hi !

My company wants to connect to internet. My first hardware
concept was too expensive :-( So the 'big boss' said "Nooooo" ;-)

My first step is to replace the Sun Proxy Server (SS5, 125MHz)
with a fine FreeBSD-current machine.

Workload will be 50 people of my company doing mainly WWW
and sometimes ftp services. Some people from outside will
probably visit out WWW pages over an Euro ISDN (etsi)
64KBit line. Then additionally perhaps 10 Modem user
who dial in over a Livingston portmaster via PPP...

So let's assume a peak of 50-75 users.

Our Network
                 10MBitTP
               +---------- FreeBSD Proxy Server
              /  10MBitTP
 Cisco 4500M +------------ Livingston Portmaster (10 Channels)
  |           \  64KBit
  |            +---------- ISDN connection to ISP

  +- company network
     10MBitTP
     to a 3COM Lanplex 2500

The cisco is equipped with a 6-port TP card and a 8 x S0
ISDN card, because it will have to handle some other
connections as well
	a) to about 6 other offices (Novell Server)
	b) to about 10 other suns via SunLink ISDN

Ok, this was only for your information, whats going on.

Now, the configuration of the FreeBSD machine ...

ASUS P/I P55TP4XE
256k synchr. burst cache
Pentium 133 CPU
2x32MB 60ns PS/2 (not EDO) RAM [I think the burst cache
				is more important than EDO]
3COM Ethernet card 3C509

And now ... The disk configuration ...
Imagine ... the machine also will act as a News Server
in the company for about 10 concurrent people.
So basically I would tend to put Operating system,
News Server and WWW server onto 3 different disks.

I'd like to get three 2GB Wide SCSI disks, but I think
this would be overkill. And would cost *too much*.

What would be better ... generally ...
To buy 3 or 4  1GB Harddisks at 5400rpm to distribute
the SCSI workload onto 3 or four different disks
(those drives are sooo inexpensive now ...)

Or should buy a wide SCSI Controller and connect
a four GB Quantum Atlas to it ??? The drive with
the 2 MB cache on it ????

What would you do ??? The two basic q: are:
How much RAM and what disk configuration ....

	Andreas ///

--
andreas@knobel.gun.de       /\/\___  Wiechers & Partner Datentechnik GmbH
   Andreas Klemm        ___/\/\/       - Support Unix - aklemm@wup.de -