Date:      Wed, 07 Mar 2001 02:05:00 -0800
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
To:        kris@obsecurity.org
Cc:        ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de, antony@abacus.co.uk, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ARCH flag in new make.conf

From: Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 01:50:37 -0800

> I can be confident it is not a dangerous option, having never seen
> code failure caused by it desipite extensive use for a long time.

Well, first off you're not even setting it to the same value he
was. :)

> This is not the case with optimizations generally accepted to be
> dangerous (like -O2) from which I have seen many failures from on my

Grrr.  Please stop raising -O2 - it's a total red herring and I've
never implied any kind of causual link between the overall
optimization level and the architecture specific optimizations. :( I
don't know why everybody keeps bringing it up like it was garlic for
warding off vampires or something.

> own systems.  Given the number of people who use -march with no ill
> effects the 50/50 estimate is not very accurate.

Ahem, do we actually know that number?  I can't help but feel like
we're both swinging in the dark here, the only difference being that
I'm arguing about avoiding a serious failure and you're arguing about
avoiding a serious warning. :)

- Jordan