Date:      Mon, 7 Jun 1999 00:36:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Panic on boot

I was wondering, I've been spending all my time recently on a research
task, and I might have missed this:  I just rebuilt world, then
reinstalled a new kernel, and it won't mount root.  Luckily, my old
kernel is just fine, and uses my new modules fine, but it won't mount
root.  I noticed in the kernel config file that I had the old
formulation for "mount root on" so I changed it to the new one,
rebooted, nothing changed at all.

I have an Intel DK440LX with a AIC7895 dual Adaptec controller, with 2
4G drives on one controller, one 4G drive and one cdrom on the other.
I've checked with the old kernel, comparing everything, it all looks
fine, and the new kernel won't even boot single user, so I can't tell if
it's suddenly decided to juggle my drives or not.

anyone know if anything has changed?

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).