Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2000 18:57:14 +0100
From:      Paul Richards <paul@originative.co.uk>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        Akinori -Aki- MUSHA <knu@idaemons.org>, freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vmware-2 config

Chuck Robey wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Akinori -Aki- MUSHA wrote:
>
> > > Last question:  the first time I brought vmware up, it asked me the
> > > location of about 5 executeables (I remember that 'less' was one of
> > > them).  I answered with their correct full path locations, UNTIL I got to
> > > one that I didn't recognize, I think it was something like "insmon"  I
> > > went thru the sources trying to find real hard where this was called out
> > > (I grepped for less, and just couldn't find a hit that looked right,
> > > although there were a hundred uses of "flawless" all  right :-)
> >
> > I think the latest port doesn't cause this problem.  I supplied a
> > reason why it happened recently in the -ports and -question lists and
> > then fixed the port.  Check it out.
>
> If you're talking about the path thing, my path already had first sbin,
> then bin, then everything else (/usr/bin, /usr/local/bin/ etc etc) so that
> isn't it.  I have linprocfs mounted now right, and I was already using
> your vmware2 port.  This seemed to be your target in the mail messages I
> saw, was I reading the right message, about the path and linprocfs?
>
> It is still asking me about those 5 binaries (and it still won't tell me
> their names in the error message).  This is no longer stopping it from
> starting up (now that I have linprocfs mounted right) but now, on starting
> up the cpu in vmware, it immediately panics the vmware (not my kernel, the
> vmware defines "panics" too) and exits none too gracefully

Is there any way of accessing a raw partition on a SCSI device?

I can get vmware to open up the raw disk and display the MBR partitions
so I can set ro/rw etc for each one but when it tries to boot the OS in
the partition it complains that it is not a raw device.

Anyone managed to use a raw partition on a SCSI disk? I've got a 20Gb
NTFS disk that I'd really like to access from vmware :-(

Paul.