Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 14:46:34 -0800
From:      "Renaud Waldura" <renaud@waldura.com>
To:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   How to safely hot-swap drives?

Fellas,

I own a couple of those spiffy ISP2150 boxes (Intel 2U rackmount), they
include a hot-swap backplane. But what are the correct commands to safely
unmount and "eject" a SCSI disk under FreeBSD? (4.x)

After unmouting the drive, my attempts with "camcontrol stop", "camcontrol
rescan" and "camcontrol reset" weren't very successful. I'm able get the
drive out and back in without crashing anything, but not without tons of
error messages about aborted SCSI commands. Enough so that the only time I
tried this, I found it safer to just reboot the box.

Anybody tried this?

--Renaud