Date:      Wed, 1 Dec 2021 22:14:36 -0600
From:      Kyle Evans <kevans@freebsd.org>
To:        Franco Fichtner <franco@lastsummer.de>
Cc:        =?UTF-8?B?w5Z6a2FuIEtJUklL?= <ozkan.kirik@gmail.com>,  Kristof Provost <kp@freebsd.org>, freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: git: 7f944794868f - stable/12 - pf: Introduce ridentifier

On Wed, Dec 1, 2021 at 7:16 AM Franco Fichtner <franco@lastsummer.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wasn't sure if responding is a good idea but basically ridentifier
> and the 3-labels extension added to pf from the pfSense area are more
> or less unnecessary cruft and easily worked around the kernel: use the
> label as a unique identifier and do the rest in userspace...
>
> I'm sure not a lot of people care for the state that Netgate puts FreeBSD
> in (again and again) but for the sake of ABI stability alone it would be
> nicer to avoid such work in stable areas.

Hi Franco,

You might have had a valid point here, but I'm afraid it got buried
beneath being needlessly antagonistic. I know that you've not had the
best relationship with Netgate, but please avoid doing that if you'd
like to have a constructive conversation about stuff like this. You
can still raise the question of whether a feature has value or not
without a lot of what you added there.

Thanks,

Kyle Evans