Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2000 22:37:27 -0500
From:      Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
To:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   RealVideo, Databases, and Colocation (3 questions)

If someone who has experience setting up Real Streaming audio and video
on freebsd servers could send me a message off list, I'm trying to get
some information that's more practical than what real is quoting me in
terms of resource needs.  I'm especially curious about CPU loads, and if
anybody has any advice on load balancing between multiple real servers
that'd be very good.

Second, database mirroring.  I'm looking to set something up with MySQL
or PostgreSQL that will balance the load between multiple servers with
the same database on them.  What's the best way to go about this, and
how large a load can I expect to handle with one server before I need to
start adding servers.

I've also gotten a few responses to my bandwidth question earlier, most
asking me to elaborate.  I'm not yet looking to host, but will be within
a year or so.  I'm interested in your rates for full colocation with
backup power, full AC, and bandwidth that will eventually need to scale
rather high (Pushing Gigabit in 4-5 years if all goes well).  Our
initial need is for a full duplex 100 Mbit dedicated/switched ethernet
feed (dedicated preferred).  It's important to have at least some
estimates on what your rates will be 5-10 years down the line, and any
place giving me data will be seriously considered when we actually
require services.

I apologize if these questions border on relevance for this list, and
I'm thankful that people are willing to put up with me and answer me
anyway.  If this thing ever takes off I'm gonna make sure the FreeBSD
project gets some major dough out of it.  If anyone can suggest a list
where these might be more relevant questions please let me know.  Thanks
again for all your help,

--
Laurence Berland