Date:      Sat, 21 Dec 2002 23:46:54 +0000
From:      "clayton rollins" <crollins666@hotmail.com>
To:        steve@shodgson.org.uk
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Voodoo Graphics Cards

Hey Steve,
	Glad you decided to give BSD a try; you won't be disappointed.

	According to this list: http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/dri/ , your card
should be supported with hardware acceleration. The card list under
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/cards shows a listing and a driver, tdfx.

	I'm assuming that you're wondering because you want to install X. If this
is the case, I've always found it pretty easy to just do a test setup using
the tools in /stand/sysinstall. Go to the post-install configure, on the
main menu and select XFree86, to start the setup. During the setup process,
you'll be given a comprehensive listing from the card database. If your
card's listed, it's supported; if not, not. The worst-case scenario is
you'll end up with a junk XF86Config file in /etc/X11 or /usr/X11R6/lib/X11.
(Unless you clock your monitor wrong, or go out of your way to clock your
card wrong...)

	As a side note, I have generally had no problems using "unsupported" cards.
More often the constraint has been from monitor frequency rates. (My last
one would only work in 320x200 mode with the proper vrefresh. However, I
knew windows had underclocked the monitor previously, so I didn't think it
was too dangerous to go 1 kHz out of spec. I guess I'll see, huh?)

Anyways,
Cheers, good luck, and all of that,
Clayton

PS. the newbies list isn't intended for questions. I don't much care, but in
the future you might be better off sending any questions to the
freebsd-questions list. (You'll definitely get more replies on that list,
and someone might get mad at you for posting questions here.)