Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 2007 08:53:48 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <netchild@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@le-hen.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/compat/linux linux_mib.c linux_mib.h  linux_misc.c

Quoting Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@le-hen.org> (from Wed, 10 Jan 2007 =20
23:58:20 +0100):

[moving to current@]

> Hi Alexander,

> Sorry if this has been already discussed in the past, I've certainly
> missed the thread.
>
> Is there any strong reason to not enable 2.6.x emulation by default
> in the future RELENG_7 ?

We have FC4 in the linux base port. Fedora Legacy is abandoning it, so =20
no security updates anymore. FC5 and later require a 2.6 kernel, they =20
don't run with a 2.4 kernel. So we need the 2.6 emulation rather =20
sooner than later.

A reason to not enable the 2.6 emulation currently is: we have =20
showstopper bugs.  Acroread is not working. We have a patch for this, =20
but we are discussing some details (security implications and locking =20
stuff). So far I didn't had time to test the functional change of this =20
patch and don't know if it fixes all issues with acroread or not (I =20
know about several ways if cashing acroread with 2.6, other people =20
know only one way (immediate crash at startup), because I'm the only =20
one with an acroread configuration which allows to start acroread =20
(without specifying a PDF) withhin 2.6 without the above mentioned =20
fix). And there may be some other bugs we didn't stumbled upon yet. =20
Because of the showstopper bug and the fact that the amd64 part is =20
only available in p4 ATM, we didn't had widespread testing of the 2.6 =20
emulation.

So currently the strong reason to not enable it by default is: major =20
bugs, lack of amd64 support and no widespread testing.

When we fixed the showstopper bug with acroread and don't identify =20
another major bug, I will ask for testing 2.6 on -current to identify =20
the easy to find bugs. After a week or two I will change the default =20
emulation to 2.6 in -current, except we have some showstopper =20
problems. At this point I also hope to have the code for amd64 in the =20
tree.

If 2.6 will be enabled by default in 7.0 has to be determined based =20
upon the feedback then.

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
http://www.Leidinger.net  Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org     netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137
The world is coming to an end.  Please log off.