Date:      Sat, 25 Sep 1999 20:25:31 +1000
From:      "John Saunders" <john@nlc.net.au>
To:        "Bill Fumerola" <billf@jade.chc-chimes.com>, "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        "FreeBSD current" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Automating filesystem check at boot time

Bill Fumerola <billf@jade.chc-chimes.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
>
> > You need to find and fix what ever it is that is not dieing when being
> > told to die.  Your work around is a bandaid that only hides the real
> > problem, which is probably a bug some place in something.  amd and NFS
> > are good first conidates.  Just what process does it complain that it
> > is unable to kill, or does it just say could not kill?
>
> Vinum is usually the culprit for me, though I haven't built a world
> on most of these machines for a while, so this may be fixed.

I would have to agree with that. I had a machine with a vinum striped
volume and went back to ccd because a remote reboot had a 0% chance
of correctly rebooting. Needless to say my chances now are not 100%
but considerably higher than 0%.

        .     | John Saunders  - mailto:john@nlc.net.au            (EMail) |
    ,--_|\    |                - http://www.nlc.net.au/              (WWW) |
   /  Oz  \   |                - 02-9489-4932 or 04-1822-3814      (Phone) |
   \_,--\_/   | NORTHLINK COMMUNICATIONS P/L - Supplying a professional,   |
         v    | and above all friendly, internet connection service.       |