Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 2001 21:33:51 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: various man page additions

Tim McMillen wrote:

> Hi, I'm new to the doc project and want to help.

Welcome!

> 	So some proposed fixes.
> --have man(1) state what the default manpage search order is.
>
> a decent spot is:   (but it is not perfectly correct, it needs help)
> old:
> 	You may also specify the order to search the sections for entries and
> which preprocessors to run on the source files via command line options
> or environment variables.  If enabled by the system administrator,
> formatted man pages will also be compressed with the `/usr/bin/gzip -c'
> command to save space.
>
> new:
> 	You may also specify the order to search the sections for entries and
> which preprocessors to run on the source files via command line options
> or environment variables.  The default search order is sections "1",
> "1aout", "8", "2", "3", "n", "4", "5", "6", "7", "9", "l".  If enabled
> by the system administrator, formatted man pages will also be
> compressed with the `/usr/bin/gzip -c' command to save space.

This seems like a reasonable idea.

> --man(1) should state what the different man section names are.

I'm sure I've seen a list of the section numbers and what they are
somewhere, though I can't find it now... *shrug* man's manual page seems
as good a place as any.

> --in either man(1) or whatis(1) or probably both, should have something
> like:
> Ex.	To get a list of the commands in a given section try
> whatis 1   or   whatis 8
> the output can be somewhat ugly, but useful.  A better command would be
> well, better.
> 	This should probably also be in each intro page.

Putting that into just whatis(1) gets my vote, see what others think...

> --help should be a basic command and should be mentioned in the default
> motd.
> 	it could display a quick tutorial on how to use the basic resources
> available.  The FAQ, handbook and manpages.  And how to install the
> documentation locally if they don't have net access set up yet.  I will
> write the text and facilitate getting it made into an executeble.  I
> could just write it as a shell script, but there may be better ways.

I'd say it's better to do it in C from the start, saves pain converting
it to C later on if you find the program gets a bit too advanced for a
shell script. :-)

> I will post what I write on my website for comments.

cool, let us know a URL.

--
Ben Smithurst / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D