Date:      Thu, 26 Jun 1997 18:07:09 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Jon Inouye <jinouye@cse.ogi.edu>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IRQ assignment for PII motherboards

>However, sharing an IRQ between an Intel EtherExpress 10/100 and an
>Adaptec 3940W is _not_ performance friendly - I expect timeout errors for
>FreeBSD and see them occasionally on WindowsNT.  You would think that
>given some free IRQs (by disabling the serial, parallel, and USB ports)
>the BIOS would set up a one-to-one mapping between PCI interrupts and ISA
>IRQs.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to want to and there appears to be
>no hook to manually configure things.  Oh, well, I sent off email to our
>Intel sponsors and hope to get utility software from them - or a BIOS
>upgrade. (Or perhaps even a RTFM on page xxx! ;-)

   I was able to get the Pro/100B, in a system with a pair of ahc3940's, to
get assigned to a non-shared interrupt by playing around with which slots
the cards were plugged into. It took about 3 tries to find the right order
(including leaving a slot empty), but I finally found an arrangement that
worked. My understanding is that the shared irq assignment isn't a function
of the BIOS, but rather a function of the slot the card is in and how it
is wired compared to the others. The motherboard I did this in wasn't made
by Intel, but the same principles should still apply.

-DG

David Greenman