Date:      Mon, 23 Jun 2014 21:33:38 +0200
From:      =?UTF-8?Q?Tomek_Wa=C5=82aszek?= <tmwalaszek@gmail.com>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl>, Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Improve cron(8)

> On 23 June 2014 06:26, Tomek Wa=C5=82aszek <tmwalaszek@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > I got your point.
> > From the technical perspective it should be quite easy to implement thi=
> > feature, but I'm not sure whether this will get positive feedback. I
> > remeber that there was a discussion on the OpenBSD mailing lists (there
> was
> > even a patch for this) but they don't like the idea :) maybe FreeBSD
> > project will like it, I don't know.
> >
> > At the moment I want to update FreeBSD cron to ISC cron (with all the
> > features that FreeBSD has at the moment and ISC does not have) and
> > integrate atrun into cron like it was done in OpenBSD cron. After that
> (or
> > faster who knows :)) maybe we should have a discussion about this idea.
>
> Sweet!
>
> Well, hm. How should we do it? Can we run both cron's in the same
> source tree and just pick which to build/install? They're both
> different crons, right? Or is there a common ancestor that makes the
> diff not so terrible?
>

> -a

Hi,
I don't quite follow you, who said that there will be cron's? There will be
one cron, from the functional perspective it will work just like it is
working now. The main differences will be that for example crontab will not
have suid, atrun will be integrated and it will for example has the ability
to run jobs from files in /var/cron.d but this will be not mandatory
feature to use, /etc/crontab will stay.

--=20
Best regards,
Tomasz Wa=C5=82aszek