Date:      Wed, 6 Jan 2016 21:12:55 -0500
From:      Mark Heily <mark@heily.com>
To:        Jonathan de Boyne Pollard <J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups@ntlworld.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: relaunchd: a portable clone of launchd

On Sat, Jan 2, 2016 at 8:42 AM, Jonathan de Boyne Pollard
<J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> I recommend, to anyone going down this route, looking towards finishing
> systembsd, especially instead of inventing a wholly new suite of protocols.
>
> * https://uglyman.kremlin.cc/gitweb/gitweb.cgi?p=systembsd.git
> *
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/FGA/debian-systemd-packaging-hoo-hah.html
> * https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=10176275
>
> The reason is that finishing systemdbsd will make happy all of the people
> who want the desktop environments whose design is driven largely by Linux to
> work on FreeBSD/PC-BSD.  The desktop environments that they'd like to use
> have been or are being modified to work with these daemons, over this D-Bus
> protocol.

I strongly disagree with your recommendation to adopt DBus and systemd
as core components of FreeBSD.

>From a practical perspective, the proposal has a low probability of
success. Systemd is written for Linux and is largely driven by a
commercial Linux vendor. It is a rapidly moving target, with no sense
of scope or boundaries. It eagerly consumes the latest and greatest
innovations in the Linux kernel, with open disdain for portability.

>From a philosophical perspective, I don't agree with the direction
that systemd is taking Linux. It's one of the reasons I switched to
BSD after many years in the Linux camp. To quote Spock, "Logic clearly
dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few". In
case of FreeBSD, this means that the needs of the desktop users should
not outweigh the needs of the server/jail/embedded/appliance users. My
concern with systemd and DBus is that these tools are highly
desktop-centric, and introduce a large degree of unwanted change,
complexity, and risk to everyone else.

If you really believe that implementing more systemd compatibility
layers is the way to go, maybe you should import systembsd into the
Nosh source tree, and carry on the work there?