Date:      Thu, 8 Feb 2001 20:15:42 +0100 (CET)
From:      Attila Nagy <bra@fsn.hu>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   mount_null and jail

Hello,

I am trying to do the following setup:

/jail
/jail-run

The first is a directory in a filesystem and holds the necessary files to
run the given application. The second directory is also a simple directory
but /jail mounted into it with mount_null.

The command I use to mount the first dir into the second is:
mount_null -o ro /jail/something /jail-run/something

The purpose of this setup is to create jails within a standard UFS
filesystem and to mount the directories read-only and run jailed
applications in it, on a read-only partition.
This wayI don't need several partitions, mounted RO and I don't have to
create loopback filesystems or to do other magic (like a mounted ISO).

The problem.

When I start jail I often get page faults.
Also I want to chroot() in the jail (ftp daemon) but it page faults in all
cases.

So
outside# jail /jail-run/something something 127.0.0.1 /bin/sh
often works and the jail starts (/jail-run is a NULL filesystem), but

inside# chroot
drops me a page fault and restarts the machine in every cases.

I've tried out this on 4.2-RELEASE and 4.2-STABLE (05/02/2001) -RELEASE
with a GENERIC and -STABLE with a custom kernel and all of them fail to
survive jail and chroot on a NULL FS.

Could somebody give me hints on this? I think it's a general problem and
the problem is the use of the NULL FS, but how could I avoid this kind of
crashes?

ps: I am subscribed only to freebsd-stable so if you write to -hackers
please CC me the message...

Thanks in advance,