Date:      Mon, 9 Sep 2002 16:05:29 +0400
From:      "Nickolay A. Kritsky" <nkritsky@internethelp.ru>
To:        Lawrence Sica <lomifeh@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fwd: Anti-virus section for FAQ

Hello Lawrence,

LS> Oops, helps if I post the url eh ;)

LS> http://www.thesicafamily.org/larry/articles/avfaq.html

I would like to add to this list following AV solution:
"Procmail Email Sanitizer" - http://www.impsec.org/email-tools/procmail-security.html

To comment the FAQ itself. I do not think that just the list of
antivirus packages is a good answer for FAQ. The thing is, that
freqentissimus AV-related question sounds like "What is the best AV
for freebsd/sendmail/qmail?" not just "What kind of antiviruses do you
know?". I think, that it would be truly useful if people, who have an
experience with setting up AV on FreeBSD share their knowledge with
us in the manner like this:
;--------------FAQ entry start
Q. What are the pros and contras of "Procmail Email Sanitizer"?
A.
        Pros for me
 1. It is free.
 2. It is quite simple to understand and tweak, because it is written
with Perl and procmailrc(see man) and all sources are open.
 3. It does not rely on signatures provided by vendor, but uses
another algorithm of filtering (see webpage for details). Thus it can
stop many virii(viries?) before they are known to public.
 4. It has support, which consists of mailing list (never tried) and
John Hardin (the developer) who was kind and answered some of my
questions.
 5. It works. It has not failed yet. But see contras.
        Contras for me
 1. I never used it for stopping MSOffice-based virii. May be it can
do it, maybe not.
 2. I had to read and understand `man procmailrc'. But maybe it is
from "pros" part.
        Resume: Use it to stop EXE/HTML/JScript/VBScript - based virii
and trojans. If somebody has tested it with MSOffice based virii - can
you tell me what you think about that?
;--------------FAQ entry end

; NKritsky
; mailto:nkritsky@internethelp.ru