Date:      Mon, 23 Jun 2014 22:48:15 +0300
From:      Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Tomek Wa??aszek <tmwalaszek@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>, Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl>, Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Improve cron(8)

--G+DT6X5ssgZ56VG3

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 09:33:38PM +0200, Tomek Wa??aszek wrote:
>=20
> > On 23 June 2014 06:26, Tomek Wa??aszek <tmwalaszek@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > > I got your point.
> > > From the technical perspective it should be quite easy to implement t=
his
> > > feature, but I'm not sure whether this will get positive feedback. I
> > > remeber that there was a discussion on the OpenBSD mailing lists (the=
re
> > was
> > > even a patch for this) but they don't like the idea :) maybe FreeBSD
> > > project will like it, I don't know.
> > >
> > > At the moment I want to update FreeBSD cron to ISC cron (with all the
> > > features that FreeBSD has at the moment and ISC does not have) and
> > > integrate atrun into cron like it was done in OpenBSD cron. After that
> > (or
> > > faster who knows :)) maybe we should have a discussion about this ide=
a.

> > Sweet!
> >
> > Well, hm. How should we do it? Can we run both cron's in the same
> > source tree and just pick which to build/install? They're both
> > different crons, right? Or is there a common ancestor that makes the
> > diff not so terrible?
> >

> > -a
> >
>=20
> Hi,
> I don't quite follow you, who said that there will be cron's? There will =
be
> one cron, from the functional perspective it will work just like it is
> working now. The main differences will be that for example crontab will n=
ot
> have suid, atrun will be integrated and it will for example has the abili=
ty
> to run jobs from files in /var/cron.d but this will be not mandatory
> feature to use, /etc/crontab will stay.

Could you, please, explain the methodology you use to ensure that
all local FreeBSD modifications to out version of the Vixie' cron
are carried forward together with the update ?

We do not used the vendor imports/contrib workflow for the cron,
so FreeBSD-specific modifications are just sit there.  The history
on head/usr.sbin/cron  is huge, there is a lot of private changes
for the old codebase.

--G+DT6X5ssgZ56VG3

--G+DT6X5ssgZ56VG3--