Date:      Fri, 11 May 2001 17:00:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        mel kravitz <melk@switchpwr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boot floppy (kern.flp) for as1200?

mel kravitz writes:
 > Hi,
 > Any one successful booting an alphaserver 1200 with 4.3 kern.flp? My
 > machine stops after :
 > Memory 262144k
 > /
 > -thats all she wrote, hangs at that point , then goes banannas on the
 > monitor -scrolling text...
 > This is a  dual 533 MP machine. I would like to boot it and build an SMP
 > kernel. See what this guy can do.

The loader is broken in 4.3-RELEASE.  It was fixed just prior to the
release in -current, but it never made it into 4.3-RELEASE because
there wasn't enough time for sufficient testing so as to ensure the
fix didn't introduce other bugs on other platforms.

Try installing with the boot floppy at
http://my.beerfountain.com/~miker/new-kern.flp  -- this was a test
floppy put up by the person who fixed the loader for 1200s (and other
big-iron platforms).  There may be more recent floppies available -- I
don't know.

Once you've installed, you'll need to upgrade to -current via a "make
world" / mergemaster combo in order to
be able to use SMP.  Be warned that -current is a developers platform,
and may be unstable, etc.  In addition, number of debugging options
are enabled in the kernel (WITNESS, INVARIANTS, DIAGNOSTIC, etc) and
in userland (malloc debugging flags) that will make the machine appear
much more sluggish than it really is.

Good luck,

Drew