Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 1998 14:43:31 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Dan Janowski <danj@3skel.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        FreeBSD-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Side by side...

(following up to -advocacy)

On Wed, 15 April 1998 at 10:41:47 -0500, dannyman wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 15, 1998 at 10:05:03AM -0400, Dan Janowski wrote:
>
>> Whilest poking around for Java resources, I found this article which
>> seems pretty articulate as well as referring to Linux and FreeBSD on par.
>>
>> http://www.ncworldmag.com/ncw-04-1998/ncw-04-nextten.html?jw
>
> Errr, yeah, an article full of generalizations unsupported by citation that
> mentions FreeBSD and Linux in the same sentence then goes on to list a
> bunch of links for Linux at the bottom.
>
> I get the creepy feeling that it's some sort of underhanded Linux advocacy,
> but I don't mind so much given the target. ;)

Who messed with your anti-paranoia shot?

Seriously, I don't think this message is biased towards Linux.  That's
the way the Real World sees us, and I don't think it puts us down.  I
suppose we could point out that FreeBSD has LKMs and is used by some
of the world's largest name servers.

On the other hand, it does seem a little biased against NT, but it
produces some good reasoning.  I'd be inclined to ask NC World if they
plan to leave the page online, in which case we should link to it.

Greg