Date:      Sun, 2 Apr 2000 12:49:57 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely.de>, Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Deadlock with vinum raid5

* Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk> [000402 12:42] wrote:
> It seems Bernd Walter wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 02, 2000 at 08:02:54PM +0200, Vallo Kallaste wrote:
> > > Yes, but I don't have space for crashdump and I can't build new kernel
> > > with limited memory usage because I don't have /usr filesystem up and
> > > running. Is there a way to limit memory usage without recompiling
> > > kernel? I can store 32MB crashdump at the moment, no separate /var
> > > filesystem because I thought 4.0-RELEASE will be stable enough for
> > > experimenting with vinum..
> > > I don't have another 4.0-RELEASE or stable system but I'll try to build
> > > 4.0-R kernel on -current system.
> >
> > Just to clearify the things...
> > Are these problems with 4.0-RELEASE with 4.0-STABLE or with 5.0-CURRENT?
>
> I have the problem with 4.0-RELEASE, STABLE and 5.0-current but it
> might only occur with RAID5...

I've never seen it with just a striped setup:

# Vinum configuration of thumper, saved at Sun Apr  2 16:34:43 2000
drive vinumdrive1 device /dev/da0s1e
drive vinumdrive2 device /dev/da1s1e
volume vinum0
plex name vinum0.p0 org striped 512s vol vinum0
sd name vinum0.p0.s0 drive vinumdrive1 plex vinum0.p0 len 16782848s driveoffset 265s plexoffset 0s
sd name vinum0.p0.s1 drive vinumdrive2 plex vinum0.p0 len 16782848s driveoffset 265s plexoffset 512s

just FYI.

Have any of you guys running vinum had any problems with phk's recent
patches with bio?  Just wanted to know if I should take the plunge.