Date:      Fri, 19 May 2000 13:22:27 -0700
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        leegold <goldtech@worldpost.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: couple'a'questions

leegold wrote:

> 2a.  please explain the differences between (the different roles played by):
> xfree86
> gnome
> enlightenment

XFree86 is a graphical "engine" for Unix. In Windoze terms, it is
roughly equivalent to the win32 api. Enlightenment is a window manager.
It controls all the other windows on the screen, how they are drawn,
where they are placed, etc. Under Windoze, the old progman.exe is
equivalent. Gnome, KDE, XFCE and CDE are "desktop environments". They
are additional tools, applications and API's on top of the window
manager that give additional functionality, feel and ease-of-use. Again,
under Windoze, this is roughly equivalent to the taskbar, explorer and
MFC, all rolled up into one.

A better comparison can be made with OS/2, which didn't try to blend all
the functionality together into one homogenous mess. X is equivalent to
the graphical API's, window managers are equivalent to the Presentation
Manager, and Gnome is equivalent to the Workplace shell.

Window managers I would heartily recommend you experiment with under
FreeBSD are WindowMaker and ICE. Enlightenment is a fantastic window
manager, but my personal experience with it under FreeBSD was that it
was unstable. It would be better to use Sawmill with Gnome. And as for
desktops, I still prefer KDE over Gnome. Under FreeBSD, Gnome
continually crashed on me.

But it's a snap installing and uninstalling packages with FreeBSD, so
try them all out!

--
David Johnson...