Date:      Sun, 16 Apr 2000 07:59:32 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/contrib/tcsh - Imported sources

Christian Weisgerber wrote:

> Since I was the one to bring this discussion to -chat...
>
> Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org> wrote:
>
> >       Because that's what -arch is for. Big ticket decisions that affect the
> > architecture of the base system.
>
> Whether to replace csh with tcsh is hardly a big architectural
> decision.

	I won't argue the semantics of that, but I will say that the -arch list
was created for exactly these kinds of topics, and the discussion there
was well conducted, and within the charter for that list.

> > [...] In any case, -chat is certainly NOT the place for this kind
> > of discussion.
>
> -arch is certainly not the place for religious wars. That thread
> in its pointless entirety which included add-nauseum repetition of
> arguments and clueless posturing (I'm thinking specifically of
> Rodney here who could at least have checked tcsh's man page before
> pontificating about incompatibilities) has devalued -arch to the
> point where it's just another version of -current and -hackers.

	... which is not to say that things couldn't have gone better, but
shells _are_ a religious topic, and it's impossible to conduct technical
discussions of their relative merits without some of what you describe
(unfortunately). On the whole however, the discussion was very
reasonable, focused on the merits, and reached as decisive a conclusion
as was every likely to arise.

> Sue's comment was right on target. It's quite clear that David
> O'Brien pushed for the inclusion of his personal favorite.

	That was not clear at all. A substantial part of David's argument was
that if we are going to have a csh in the system (this is BSD, so we
are), and if we are going to have an old, stale version of tcsh as our
csh (which we did) it makes much more sense to import the new, well
maintained and feature full version of tcsh. (I'm not speaking for David
of course...)

	As I said previously, further conversation of this sort should happen
on -arch, as it is currently for anyone interested.

> BTW, I'm unclear as to -arch's status. Is it moderated, committers
> only, or generally open?

	It's open, subject to moderation if things start to get stupid.

Doug
--
Excess on occasion is exhilarating.  It prevents moderation from
acquiring the deadening effect of a habit.