Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2000 19:10:08 +0100 (CET)
From:      torstenb@vmunix.org (Torsten Blum)
To:        uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: application/smil

In <Pine.BSF.4.21.0011072240400.774-100000@moritz.alleswirdgelber> uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de (Heiko Recktenwald) writes:

>Is there any Player for Unix ? Exept the Real one, that cannot stream
>MPEG...? Are there any plans ?
>Quicktime, isnt that Open Source now ? The MPEG would be enough..

Dunno about MPEG via HTTP, but for Multicast/RTP there's MIM
(http://videolab.uoregon.edu/mim/). Basically it's a frontend that extracts
the mpeg frames out of rtp packets and feeds it to mtvp (ports/graphics/mtv).
Works quite good, except that audio/video is sometimes out of synch. Well,
could be worse ;)

The only thing we currently lack is a realtime mpeg1 (2 or 4 would be cool
too) encoder that can feed it's data directly to a multicast group and
runs on something else than NiceTry.

If anyone knows such a solution, maybe even im combination with a hardware
mpeg compression card, please gimme a pointer.

 -tb