Date:      Fri, 15 Aug 1997 12:48:51 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: NCR 810 fatal errors during install. (desperate plea)

On Tue, 12 Aug 1997, Stefan Esser wrote:

> On Aug 12, Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il> wrote:
> > I've already tried the following on questions and scsi to no avail. Since
>
> Hmmm, had not seen it before ...
>
> > We have here a DECpc XL 590 (it used to be a 466, but got upgraded
> > recently). This machine has a Nepture chipset, built-in NCR 53C810, 32MB RAM
> > and a DE435 ethernet card.
>
> Wasn't the neptun buggy and known to fail if used with
> multiple bus-master cards ?

Seems so, but that's what I have here (the machine is about 4 years old,
don't think there was anything better back then).

> (Please try to boot with both caches disabled and let
> me know, whether you see the same problem.)

It's the same.

However, the Handbook section on hardware seems to suggest there's a
problem with the arbiter in the Neptune chipset. My BIOS setup (it's a
phoenix BIOS) has an option called "PCI Arbiter". It's currently set to
System Default, and has a big red warning on it saying it is dangerous to
change if you don't know what you're doing, but it may be what we need.
Do you have any idea what I should set it to? The options it has are
System Default, Pure Rotating, and one for each master (i.e., CPU,
Built-In SCSI, ISA Bus, PCI Slot 2 and PCI Slot 3).

Any advice on what to try here, if at all it would help, or should I just
do trial and error?

> > On the SCSI bus I have:
> > ID 0 - Quantum LPS340S	(340MB disk).
> > ID 1 - HP C3323-300 (1GB disk).
> > ID 5 - Toshiba XM-4101TA (2x CD).
> >
> > All are recognized correctly during boot (both disks work at 10MB/sec).
> > Both 2.2.2-RELEASE and 2.2-090801-RELENG installs give the following
> > shortly after starting writing to the disks (either during newfs-ing them
> > or while copying):
> >
> > ncr0:0: ERROR (20:0) (8-28-0) (8/13) @ (e18:18000140).
>
> The 20 indicates the BF flag (bus fault) is set in the
> DSTAT interrupt cause register. This means, that a PCI
> bus transaction failed.
>
> But this is just a guess ...
>
> Regards, STefan

Thanks,