Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 2015 12:40:03 -0400
From:      Paul Kraus <paul@kraus-haus.org>
To:        reg@dwf.com, FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Can't boot FreeBSD.

On Aug 9, 2015, at 18:46, reg@dwf.com wrote:

> I have done what appears to be a clean install of FreeBSD 10.1,
> but on the 'reboot' the intel boot falls thru to the ethernet
> boot, as if there isn't any info in the boot block.

By clean install I assume you mean you went through the installer =
process to it=92s completion.

What did you choose for disk layout (UFS, ZFS, or manual) ?=20

If you used the manual option you may have missed a step to install the =
boot loader. Take a look at the man page for gpart and the section on =
BOOTSTRAPPING here =
https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=3Dgpart&apropos=3D0&sektion=3D0&=
manpath=3DFreeBSD+10.1-RELEASE&arch=3Ddefault&format=3Dhtml and the =
examples at the end.

> I have tried this install on two different disks on this machine
> with the same results (changing the BIOS to get to the 2nd disk).

I had an older system that would not boot with a GPT partition, I had to =
use an MBR partition (I was using ZFS for boot drive).

I have also had others report that they needed to set the BIOS to Legacy =
for SATA controllers instead of AHCI in some cases.

--
Paul Kraus
paul@kraus-haus.org