Date:      Fri, 08 Feb 2002 10:04:55 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Oliver Fromme <oliver.fromme@secnetix.de>
Subject:   Re: USB "Memorybird" quirks

Oliver Fromme wrote:
>  > Could this be "auto-quirked"?
[ ... ]
> It seems to me that umass_scsi_transform() in umass.c is
> the place intended for this kind of things.  After the
> first failure (which is detected in umass_bbb_state()),
> a flag (quirk) should be set in the softc, and afterwards
> umass_scsi_transform should translate 6-byte commands to
> 10-byte commands.  Doesn't sound too complicated to me.

After looking at the code in more detail, then puzzling
and puzzling 'til mu puzzler was sore, then sitting back
down, and puzzling some more...

It very obviously needs to be generic in the CAM layer in
the da handler, since it's applicable to all devices in
the quirks table, not just the USB devices.

It still needs a failuter trace from the CAM_DEBUG stuff.

Strange as it may seem, I look through quirks lists before
I buy hardware, and if it has a quirk, I don't buy it.  So
I'm not in a position to run the test, or test a fix.

The USB stuff still needs to retry more than it does,
though, if those logs were an accurate retry count, or
the fix of automatically moving from 6->10 byte commands
won't work transparently, and you'll end up having to do
the disklabel a couple of times before it sticks.  This
is pretty unacceptable behaviour (it violates POLA all
to heck).

-- Terry