Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2000 09:24:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie (David Malone)
Cc:        mb@imp.ch, dillon@apollo.backplane.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: move portmap(8) from /usr/sbin to /sbin

> On Wed, Jan 12, 2000 at 01:23:14AM -0800, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
>
> > Also moving them to pass1 would bring up nfs exports before we
> > brought up nfs mounts.  syslogd would not be running to catch
>
> Shouldn't nfs exports happen before nfs mounts, so that machines
> which have nfs interdependencies don't sit there waiting for one
> another? (I think we've had to change this several times in the
> FreeBSD rc scripts, I guess the reason it might be the other way
> around is incase /usr is nfs mounted?)

If your talking about dead lock caused by mutual cross mounting
between 2 systems via NFS the NFS rule book says ``don't do that,
it hurts''.

Independent of order of export/mounting the dead lock occurs.  Cross
mounting via NFS is a verbotten thing in the sysadmin world of production
systems.  :-)  I have had to fix it at several sites admin'd by newbies...

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net