Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 18:18:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jack <jack@germanium.xtalwind.net>
To:        "Eric D. Futch" <efutch@nyct.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hosts.allow strangeness?

Today Eric D. Futch wrote:

> This is confusing the hell out of me :)  I don't think I'm missing
> anything here, but even with "ALL : ALL : deny" in the hosts.allow I can
> still telnet into this FreeBSD 4.1-RC box.

Was inetd(8) started with the -w flag?

     -w      Turn on TCP Wrapping for external services.  See the
             IMPLEMENTATION NOTES section for more information on TCP Wrappers
             support.

     -W      Turn on TCP Wrapping for internal services which are built in to
             inetd.

Jack O'Neill                    Systems Administrator / Systems Analyst
jack@germanium.xtalwind.net     Crystal Wind Communications, Inc.
          Finger jack@germanium.xtalwind.net for my PGP key.
   PGP Key fingerprint = F6 C4 E6 D4 2F 15 A7 67   FD 09 E9 3C 5F CC EB CD
               enriched, vcard, HTML messages > /dev/null