Date:      Sat, 16 Mar 1996 11:39:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Michael Dillon <michael@memra.com>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        Eric Hester <erich@basenet.com>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: comtrol rocketports

On Sat, 16 Mar 1996, Joe Greco wrote:

> >   I have been running a linux for about a year now at my ISP. I have
> > tolerated its instability (minor up until recently) But I have just
> > recently started playing with FreeBSD, which I am most impressed with.
> > Anyway to the point. I have terminal servers running linux with comtrol
> > rocketports. If I am to move to FreeBSD I will have to have comtrol drivers
> > for it. I know BSDI supports comtrol.

> > will there be support for rocketports anytime soon?
> Only if somebody writes or ports one..

> For what it's worth, I believe quite strongly that FreeBSD needs support for
> these serial port solutions!  Hayes ESP 1 and 8 port (in enhanced mode),
> Comtrol Rocketport, etc.  Not everybody can afford the more expensive
> offerings from Stallion and Specialix (look at the cost for just 8 ports)..

And what's wrong with building special-purpose terminal servers out of
Linux boxes and using FreeBSD for all the other servers? After all, Linux
is UNIX too and all a terminal server needs to do is run a bunch of serial
ports and maybe a few rlogins to a FreeBSD shell server.

Michael Dillon                                    Voice: +1-604-546-8022
Memra Software Inc.                                 Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com                             E-mail: michael@memra.com