Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 1995 15:23:50 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        jehamby@lightside.com
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: GNAT Ada compiler:  chicken & egg?

 * I'm currently in the process of compiling the GNU/NYU Ada Translator (or
 * GNAT) which sits on top of GCC.  Since GNAT itself is WRITTEN in Ada,
 * it's going to be a tough chicken-and-egg sort of thing:  It looks like
 * I'm going to have to cross-compile GNAT on another machine which already
 * has GNAT (my SPARCstation 20 at work, for example) and then, if all goes
 * well, I'll be able to compile GNAT with itself on my FreeBSD box.

Hey, there is a gnat port, although I'm not sure if it compiles now,
it fails here (on our test box...but this thing needs an upgrade
badly, and that may be a problem, not the port).

Anyway, the port is in ports/lang and the package is in
packages-2.0.5/languages (since we haven't recompiled it since the
release of 2.0.5 -- same goes to many others).  You should be able to
grab the package and use it to bootstrap it.

Satoshi