Date:      Sun, 27 Mar 2011 00:34:52 +0100
From:      Remko Lodder <remko@elvandar.org>
To:        "Eugene M. Zheganin" <eugene@zhegan.in>
Cc:        freebsd-pf@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/155945: [pf] [ip6] pf match engine is broken with ipv6

Dear Eugene,

On Mar 26, 2011, at 9:00 PM, Eugene M. Zheganin wrote:

> The following reply was made to PR kern/155945; it has been noted by =
GNATS.
>=20
> From: "Eugene M. Zheganin" <eugene@zhegan.in>
> To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
> Cc: =20
> Subject: Re: kern/155945: [pf] [ip6] pf match engine is broken with =
ipv6
> Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 00:12:22 +0500
>=20
> Yes, I does.
> Thank you.

You are welcome ofcourse!

>=20
> So, does this mean it's not a bug ?

No, it's not a bug.

> To be honest, I fugured out this solution by myself a few hours =
earlier.

:-) good work then!

> In my defense I should say that <af> is referenced in pf.conf manual=20=

> page only 2 times (for the whole article) and it's quite difficult to=20=

> fugure out that thing by myself. Earlier I encountered similar problem=20=

> with ipfw, which was even weirder (you have to put proto ipv6 at the =
end=20
> of the rule, where it means 'inner proto', but not at the beginning of=20=

> the rule, where it means something different).

I dont know IPFW, but I do understand PF a fair bit. Most recently (in =
the last few days)
I added a SIXXS.net tunnel to my PFsense box, and well it needs IPV6 =
connectivity
through PF.. so I was kinda cheating because I knew what meant what ;)

>=20
> I think at least documentation should be made more clear.

If it is not clear enough it might be an idea to get it more clear. The =
problem on our end is
that it's contributed code, from OpenBSD (by Daniel Hartmeier) and that =
if we are to modify
it locally, we potentially generate a lot of fuzz when someone imports a =
newer version, which
is what Ermal is currently doing (with Bjoern if I can recall =
correctly). So, we need to get this
upstream if it is really unclear/needed.

Are there others that confirm this?

>=20
> Sorry for your time; thanks for the answer.

No problem, my time wasn't wasted, because it helped you! That's the =
great thing about the
community, as long as it helps people, we don't mind :-)

Cheers
REmko