Date:      Wed, 4 Aug 1999 00:45:48 +1000 (EST)
From:      Enno Davids <enno.davids@metva.com.au>
To:        shovey@buffnet.net (Steve Hovey)
Cc:        cygone@zoomnet.net, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Loadbalance webservers

| From: Steve Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
|
| Anyone know a good place they can point me to for the how-tos of round
| robin DNS?
|
| On Mon, 2 Aug 1999, Mitch Vincent wrote:
|
| > Isn't the most common way of load balancing  something like a web server,
| > just round-robin DNS?
| >
| > I know there are several hardware solutions for load balancing, but I'd say
| > round-robin is the most commonly used non-hardware method.

Unless you're using a very old bind you just put more than one A record
against the name in the zone file. The server serves the addresses as a
list with random ordering and the client is also supposed to choose
randomly from any list it receives.

So in short,

	www	IN A	192.9.200.1
		IN A	192.9.200.129

or some variation of this theme in the zone file is all you need.

Enno.

-------
Enno Davids	             Metva P/L, P.O.Box 2669,    Phone: +61 3 9583 5474
enno.davids@metva.com.au    Cheltenham 3192, Australia	 Mobile: +61 15 316 522