Date:      Mon, 18 Mar 2002 21:42:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      Edmond Nolan <edmond_nolan@yahoo.com>
To:        GB Clark <gclarkii@vsservices.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't mount CDROM - dmesg

Hi,

I'll try to send the whole output of dmesg, kinda hard, coz I'm installing FreeBSD at home, when
using FreeBSD I have no access to the net, I boot Linux to access the net, then I thought I know!
Simply do a:

dmseg > /tmp/dmesg_dump.txt

and copy dmesg_dump.txt to a floppy, didn't work, I can mount /dev/df0 (yeah!) but got other bad
super block errors (even after formatting the floppy).

Anyway I scanned dmesg and found this:

ata1-slave: ata_command: timeout waiting for intr
                         identify failed

That would seem to fit with the FAQ that mentioned that CDROM may, for some reason, not be visible
on the bus.

'cdcontrol' didn't work either. I have an older CD ROM somewhere, I think I'll stick that in and
see if that works.

Thanks to everyone for their help! : )

Regards

Eddie