Date:      Mon, 30 Dec 1996 12:22:03 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Jin Guojun[ITG]" <jin@george.lbl.gov>
Cc:        jmb@freefall.freebsd.org, freebsd-bugs@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: misc/2321: installation panic before going to past-install menu

> I successfully installed 2.2-BATE on other ASUS motherboards. So, it sounds
> like that the problem is only on the ASUS P/I-P55TVP4 motherboard.
> I may do some further test.

Well, I just saw this come across today also, so perhaps the problem
is more complex than that:

When installing FreeBSD, my system got panic
and the error occures when doing the step
   Saving any boot -c changes to new kernel
and the error message for 2.1.6 and 2.2-BETA are different.
The error message showed by 2.1.6 is:
   Fatal signal 11 caught! I'm dead....
The error message showd by 2.2-BETA is:
   panic: Going no where without my init

My machine is Pentium 133, I have one AHA-3940 SCSI adaptor(PCI),
Intel Express Pro 100B Fast Ethernet card (PCI) and
a NE2000 compatible ISA card.
I have one IDE disk -- Quantum sirocco1700a.
       one SCSI disk -- Seagate ....

And I want to install FreeBSD on the IDE disk.
>How-To-Repeat:
Before installing FreeBSD, connect the Seagate SCSI disk
on the Channel B of AHA-3940 and let the Channel A empty
then the problem occures
>Fix:
Change the cabling of Seagate SCSI disk from Channel B to
Channel A of AHA-3940 will slove this problem.