Date:      Sun, 16 Sep 2012 15:47:53 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Removing CVS from HEAD

On Sep 16, 2012, at 3:16 PM, Doug Barton wrote:

> On 09/14/2012 21:39, Warner Losh wrote:
>> I think that we've reached the point in this thread that "no clear =
consensus exists for the change, therefore the status quo should remain =
the case."
>>=20
>> All these points and counter points clearly show there's non =
consensus, so this should be tabled.
>=20
> "I don't think that word means what you think it means."
>=20
> Consensus does not mean "absence of opposing views." It means that the
> weight of opinion is on one side, and the points raised by those =
opposed
> have been carefully considered; and either accommodated or discarded =
as
> less important than the benefits of the majority view. The mere fact
> that someone disagrees with a proposed change should not be enough on
> its own to scuttle that change.
>=20
> In this case the weight is clearly in the "remove it" camp, and the
> opposing opinions have been considered, and should be discarded.
>=20
> Defining consensus the other way only gets you the least objectionable
> changes, which are almost never the best by a purely technical =
measure.
> Which is not to say that we should _never_ consider other factors,
> merely that in a software project one would think that technical merit
> really should be the deciding factor in the majority of cases.

We're working towards consensus.  We weren't there when I sent this out, =
and it seems like the folks doing the work have agreed that a few minor =
things should be completed first.

Oh, and one more thing, I hope you have a nice day.

Warner