Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 1995 16:47:34 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        PVinci@ix.netcom.com, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ata/ide sector translation modes c/h/s vs. LBA?

>> Why does the ATA standard make such a big stink about LBA mode??

>Because it is *new*, and allows you to use drives >536870912 bytes.

No.  Even the old ATA standard specifies addressing drives with
65535(+1?) * 16 * 255 sectors (almost 128GB).  LBA only increases
the limit to 65536 * 16 * 256.  See
"Yet Another ATA-2/Fast-ATA/EIDE FAQ" in
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage.

>It greatly simplifies the calculation for this.  Basically a drive
    ^slightly
>in LBA mode has 256 sectors, 16 heads and upto 1024 cylinders.

Up to 65536 or 65536 cylinders.  Oops, in previous mail I said that LBA
addresses are 24 bits.  They are actually 28 bits (4 more in the old
head bits).  The bits are rearranged (the head bits become bits 24-27
of the LBA, and the braindamaged 1-based sector numbers are gone), so
it is only a heuristic to think of the translation as giving a 256S * 16H
geometry.

Bruce