Date:      Tue, 24 Dec 1996 20:06:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        se@freebsd.org (Stefan Esser)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, cg@archimedia.khs-linz.ac.at
Subject:   Re: DAT: reading with blocksize=256K

> On Dec 24, j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch) wrote:
> > As Christian Gusenbauer wrote:
> >
> > > I just got a DAT cartridge with a tar backup. It seems that the backup
> > > was made with a blocksize of 256K. Isn't it possible to get the data into
> > > my pc with current (it looks like there's a limit of 64K)??
> >
> > This has been discussed at lenth already: it's currently limited by
> > physio(9) to chunks of at most 64 KB size, due to the limitations in
> > the scatter/gather list of some SCSI controllers that don't allow for
> > more than 16 scatter/gather segments.
>
> I can't talk for any other driver, but in case of the NCR driver,
> a simple rebuild of the kernel with MAX_SCATTER (in /sys/pci/ncr.c)
> set to 129 will allow to read 256KB tape blocks.

Since it is that simple in the driver level for at least one of our
SCSI interfaces, then it might be desirable to start supporting larger
physio's.  I have a bit of technology in mind to support bigger I/O.  Since
I use NCR controllers, I'll look into it soon.  It would be neat to also
support larger than 64K clustered reads/writes.  Thanks for the info!!!

John
dyson@freebsd.org