Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 1996 19:55:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <ANDRSN@HOOVER.STANFORD.EDU>
To:        hsu@freefall.freebsd.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ethernet packet sniffer.

  >> It sounds like the sys admin--or anyone with root privileges--can
  >> read absolutely everything going on--all e-mail in and out

>It's worse than that.  Anyone w/ an ethernet connection on your net
>can read everything going in or out, not just sysadmins or those with
>root priviledges on your machine.  If you're really worried about
>security, there's encrypted rlogin and pgp encryption for mail.

Anyone with an ethernet connection on "my net" can read everything
(or log it and read it later, search for key words, send it to
someone else, etc....)

Question:  what's "my net"?  How do I find out?  Is there anything
like, say, a radar detector that determines if anyone else is doing
this on "my net"?

Annelise