Date:      Mon, 14 Apr 1997 03:12:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some advice needed.

On Sun, 13 Apr 1997, John-Mark Gurney wrote:

> > 	Hmm, will a K5 run as well as a P5 though?  Since it might be
> > faster but what about compatibility issues?  As for the ethernet card,
>
> well...  as I said I haven't any personal experience... I think I heard
> that it works perfectly fine...

	Hmm, besides not being an Intel, what is the main differences
between the AMD and the Intel?

> > wouldn't a 100Mbps PCI be better?  But is 8 megs really enough for a
>
> sure... but it will cost around $70-$80... also... do you need 100mbps? and
> have the hub? :)

	Well, 100Mbps might be a good idea if you had other machines
locally hooked up to it.

> > terminal server?  Now how much does the multiport cards cost?
>
> you'll probably want to run with 16megs though...  but most of my memory
> is taken up by gated... you also have to realize that when running.. most of
> the pages for the executable will be shared...  so you shouldn't have to have
> more than a couple 100k per port...  right now my terminal server has 1meg
> free and it's serving four port...  (and it's running gated, plus a raw
> getty for serial console logins)...

	Hmmm, I don't think 16 megs is enough these days for anything
especially when it's doing something like this.

> > 	This is only if I can figure out how to get gated working. =)
>
> heh... it's actually not THAT hard to get working once you do...  just
> browse the mailing list archives... I posted an example gated.conf file
> a few weeks ago...

	I guess things are always hard until you do it a few times or even
the first time.  I saw your example gated.conf file but am still a bit
confused on how to get it setted up correctly.

> > 	I thought you had a T1 but 56k would cost $5k already?
>
> I could pull a T1 for 5k.. but I wouldn't have any money to pay for more
> than the first month of server...  which would be hard to start out with a
> income of $1k+/month.. :)

	Hmmm, that is a good reason but wouldn't a 56k not have enough
bandwidth for the modems?

> > 	Hmmm, via microwave?  Now that must cost them something to do that
> > but isn't microwave slower than actual cable?
>
> from what I hear it doesn't have a higher latency...  and actually if the
> FCC would allow them they could easily run over 1.544mbit...  the only real
> cost is the FCC license to run it...  plus in some ways it's more reliable
> than cable as you don't have to worry about the cable being dug up.. :)
> this is only some info that I remeber hearing from a short discussions about
> alternate providers locally...

	What is the speed the microwave runs at?  A T1 actually runs
1.536Mbps only.  I just wished there was a way to hook up ethernet cable
to the NSP as they are only 1.5 blocks away.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]