Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 1995 20:06:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        julian@tfs.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: new install(1) utility

[CC: trimmed]

> > > I think Terry means this:
> > >
> > > ${DESTDIR}${BINDIR}${PROG}: ${.OBJDIR}/${PROG}
> > > 	install ${COPY} ${STRIP} -m ${BINMODE} -o ${BINOWN} -g ${GINGRP} \
> > > 		${PROG} ${DESTDIR}${BINDIR}
> > >
> > > install:	${DESTDIR}${BINDIR}${PROG}
> >
> > Ahh, but what if ${DESTDIR}${BINDIR}${PROG} was older than
> > ${.OBJDIR}/${PROG} simply because it was deleted during a purge of
> > /usr/obj. My arguement is that it doesn't *need* to be installed
> > (especially in the case of libraries).
> This is hte best argument I've heard for BOTH options..
> i.e. the dependencies under Make, AND the install that doesn't (sometimes)

Hey, two more people in agreement.  Or at least partly.  I am not
so sure about having install do the cmp, I think that part is best
left externally.  My reasoning here is that if the cmp is inside
install we will exec both install and cmp no mater what, if we do a
cmp || install
it would be possible to save the exec of install if the cmp successeds.

Using cksum is *not* the way to go, we already have Pouls benchmarks
of cmp vs cksum on this, and cksum is not fail safe, it is possible
for 2 files to have the same checksum but contain different data,
very unlikely, but possible.

I do see the need to have install have the -t option to copy time stamps.
Bruce, would this mean we could drop the ranlib after installing libraries?