Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 1999 10:15:04 +0000
From:      Geoff Buckingham <geoffb@chuggalug.clues.com>
To:        mdragon@vera.net
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SYM 0.9.0-19991024 O.K.

On Thu, Nov 11, 1999 at 01:36:52AM -0600, mdragon@vera.net wrote:

> My list of questions:
> - Is vinum prefered over ccd ?

Vinum is more fully featured than ccd and more activly being developed, I
switched to vinum for stripes and mirrors on production machines about
six months ago. I would still be cautios about using the RAID 5 in production.

> - Is someone working on the AMI MegaRAID controller ?

Mike Smith has written a driver available at:

http://www.freebsd.org/~msmith/RAID/ami/amr-stable-991109.tar.gz

Which he announced to freebsd-stable with the following notes:

} - This is the first revision.  It should work OK, but I will
}   appreciate feedback on how well it works for you.
} - You can't boot from a RAID volume.  The fix for this is quite
}   nontrivial, and may not ever make it back into the 3.x family.
} - Unlike with the Mylex cards, you _don't_ need to update the
}   bootstrap and loader before installing the card.

--
GeoffB>