Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 1998 08:15:49 -0700
From:      Blaine Minazzi <bminazzi@w3page.com>
To:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: All about SPAM (again)...

Karl Pielorz wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I realise this really isn't the place to ask this - but I thought it was kind
> of relevant as we all seem to be getting hit by SPAM sent to this list as
> well...
>
> If anyone can reply (to me directly if they want to avoid the 'off-topic'
> calls) - What does everyone do with their SPAM? - I've seen numerous 'mail it
> to nospam@somewhere.com', install 'anti-spam' rules, join CAUSE etc.

Well, it is a bit relevant, since spam issues are a time consuming issue
for most ISP's.

Methinks that stoping relays off your server, ( pop before sendmail is
nice ) rejecting  unresolvable domains, blocking known spammer IP
addresses, and using the RBL all helps.  Add a little procmail filter to
scan for certain headers ( t-1net.com ) and a few other goodies...

Beyond this, you can really get into doing yourself brain damage trying
to stop the shit.

I sometimes send it back to the originating ISP or RELAY, but, after a
while, that can get to frigging time consuming when the ISP does not
give a damn. ( UU.NET seems not to really care. )

While I hate the thought of Gub'mint sticking thee nose in, having a law
that would  prevent and PUNISH U.C.E. such as the "junk fax" law might
help....

Personally, I think if ISP's would include in their user agreements that
anyone sending this crap gets billed an extra $10 per peice of UCE mail
that gererates a customer complaint, that would cut it a bunch.  Since
this would make it considerably less economical, methinks it would curb
it in a big way....

Take a lesson from the IRS, if you want to modify behavior, do it with
the pocketbook.

Blaine.