Date:      Thu, 07 Aug 2003 22:04:31 -0400
From:      Alden Louis-Pierre <alden.pierre@verizon.net>
To:        Nathan Grant <nateg@laundered.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about the ln command

Nathan Grant wrote:

>>Hello Everyone,
>>
>>    I've just installed FreeBSD 4.8.  I must say installing
>>FreeBSD is
>>fairly easy.  I've manage to dual boot with Win2K and FreeBSD.
>>I'm now in the process of trying to configuring my kernel and
>>getting my
>>ports directory up to date via cvsup.  I've notice while
>>reading the FreeBSD HandBook 2nd Edition p.178 it was
>>suggested  to copy
>>the kernel file to the root directory.  Configuring the kernel
>>seems to be straight forward.  The problem I have is the following:
>>
>>*cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
>>mkdir /root/kernels
>>cp GENERIC /root/kernels/MYKERNEL
>>ln -s /root/kernels/MYKERNEL*
>>
>>I have a problem with the last command.  From my understanding and
>>reading through the man pages should it the *ln* command take in 3
>>paramaters
>>(*ln [option] [source] [dest]*) ?  Is it even possible to create a
>>symbolic link with so few parameters?
>>

>Yes, it is.  With source as the only argument to ln, it makes a link in
>the current directory with the name of the source file.  So, if your pwd
>was /usr/src/sys/i386/conf and you committed the last command on that
>list, it would create a link /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/MYKERNEL ->
>/root/kernels/MYKERNEL
>The destination argument is useful for overriding this behavior, but it
>is not necessary.
>
>HTH,
>Nathan Grant

    Ok, so then why is when I do ls -la /root/kernels/ why does it
MYKERNEL under the /root/kernels directory show it's pointer to
/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/MYKERNEL?  I know that /home is symbolic link to
/usr/home and displays where it points to with /root/kernels/MYKERNEL,
I don't see this.  Am I being a little to analytical?