Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 2002 17:06:15 -0700
From:      Ryan Hill <rhill@xypoint.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   preferred method to start daemons

All,

Need some quick clarification here on the 'preferred' (subjective, I know)
method of starting local daemons at boot time, specifically, mysql and
apache.  Both manuals reference appending startup lines to rc.local, but the
handbook mentions that rc.local has been deprecated in favor of rc.d and
changes should be made in rc.conf but with the caveat that rc.conf should
not be used to actually start the services.

Soooo, I've got a bit of chicken vs. the egg problem here.  I have a
mysql.server script placed in rc.d, but I'm unsure where to call it in the
startup process to actually start the server.  I've also tried hacking
together a startup script for apache, but it bombs horribly when I try to
execute it manually for testing.

Anyone care to help?

Thanks,
Ryan