Date:      Fri, 11 May 2001 04:33:16 +0200
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@eboa.com>
To:        Pete French <pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk>
Cc:        des@ofug.org, kenm@icarz.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, ixkatl@yahoo.com, jeckermann@verio.net
Subject:   Re: Oracle,

Pete French wrote:

> > meaningless, irrelevant to the issue, or both.  MySQL is still a toy.
>
> Define 'toy' - the usual meaning of the word implies that it has no

Goody, an argument!

3 : something for a child to play with

according to Merriam-Webster. And nobody is arguing with that. So why are you?

> useful purpose. Arguing that mySQL is not an RDBMS is reat, and anyone
> with half a brain will aree with you. Arguing that it has no usefulness

Worse. Those with a full brain will agree too.

> in any situation is not a valid conclusion to draw fromthis - unless you
> are so narrow minded that you think computers are only good for RDBMS
> systems.

Nope. For like I said, it's perfect for children to play with. So what's
the problem?

> The underlying filesystem has no support for RDBMS facilities either.
> This does not mean that it is an unsuitable place to store data, nor does
> it mean that fopen(), fclose() etc are 'toys' and unsuitable for writing
> real systems with.

By that you're knocking Oracle running on, say, Linux? I warn you, some
might say that Linux is an unsuitable place to store Mission-Critical data!

> Preseumably you also consider 'dbm' and friends to be toys as well for
> similar reasons ?

Nah. Not for *similar* reasons! ;)

> There is a useful skill known as "programming" which enables people to
> build systems on top of already supplied facilites. mySQL provides a set
> of facilities that extend what flat files provide and are useful to
> certain people build certain types of system. If you find that you cant
> live wthout transactional support then you are a poor programmer (there
> are ways to program around them). On the other hand it may well be
> a lot more cost-effective if you need them to move to an Oracle platform
> so you can devote brain power to doing  more useful things that overcomming
> shortcommings of your chosen data storage platform.

To program means to write. Secondly it means an outline to be followed.
Computers, of course, are suckers. They actually believe they're supposed
to do just that. But, hey, were still working on that!

"are useful to certain people" has been expressed before.

"wthout transactional support then you are a poor programmer" is discrimatory
and "(there are ways to program around them)" is known as writing a transacion
control program... so you were saying?

"more useful things that overcomming shortcommings of your chosen data
storage platform"

to solve that dilemma the obvious answer seems to be to not pick a platform
with shortcomings in the first place. I agree. What's your point?

> We could use the Oracle for the frontend, but it would be slower, much
> harder to program (there are no Oracle libraries existsing for the web
> development environment we are using) and extortionately expensive
> as Oracle dont provide sensible lisenses for the VMS versions of their
> products (despite this being the most stableplace to run them).

Now your cooking! MySQL is perfect for its niche. This is what everybody
has been saying. Yet it is not for all niches, as you have been agreeing.
So, again, what is the argument?

> In short maybe you should learn something about using the apoprorpiate
> tool for the job - and not denigrating other tols just because they
> are unsuitable for *your* job.

Which is restating my original argument. To which you weren't replying,
but still... <g>.

Roelof