Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 2004 14:20:28 -0700
From:      Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Cc:        Chiang Seng Chang <cs@europa.ctzen.com>
Subject:   Re: pkg_version shows duplicate entries, may I deinstall old ones ?

On Thursday 15 April 2004 02:07 pm, Chiang Seng Chang wrote:

> This is with -v:
>
>     autoconf-2.13.000227_5
>     autoconf-2.53_1
>     docbook-1.3
>     docbook-241_2
>     docbook-3.0_2
>     docbook-3.1_2
>     docbook-4.0_2
>     docbook-4.1_2
>     libtool-1.3.5_2
>     libtool-1.4.3_3
>
> 1. why are there multiple versions of the same "thing" ?
> 2. is it safe to pkg_deinstall the "older" ones ?
> 3. since I am using portupgrade, pkg_deinstall should be used instead
> of pkg_delete, right ?

Don't uninstall the "old" ones if you don't know what you're doing!

In the case of autoconf and libtool, there are ports that depend on one
particular version or another, so that you need the old ones around.
These dependencies tend to be build dependencies, so you might be safe
uninstalling them if you're short of room. But be prepared to see it
installed  the next time you update a dependent port.

In the case of docbook, these are different versions of the docbook
spec. Docbook documents will refer to specific versions, which you need
to have. If you are not currently using docbook for yourself, you could
get rid of them. But several ports needs them to create their own
documentation, so they may get installed again "behind your back".

portupgrade will keep everything straight for you. If it keeps "older"
versions around, it does so for a reason.

David